When you have a large family, having a kitchen that doesn’t function well is really a disadvantage, to say the least. This was the case for a couple in Newton and their four children.
Both busy doctors, the husband enjoys cooking while the wife enjoys baking. However, their existing kitchen design was awkward and they longed for a space that was easy to function in and looked like their style.
Their tired J-shaped kitchen limited the countertop space and the flow into the dining room. Darker wall cabinets were packed full and were worn out, as were the laminate countertops. Overall, there wasn’t enough storage space. There was a downdraft cooktop which didn't work well (they usually don't) and that would splatter onto anyone sitting at the countertop, limiting the kids ability to do their homework at the counter.
The couple wanted a kitchen where they could cook more easily and where the whole family could comfortably eat and hang out. They wanted the space to have a natural, relaxed feeling with a more functional layout and plenty of storage space.
The solution was to redesign the kitchen so everyone can work in and to have a more natural, Scandinavian look using marble and wood. The redesigned kitchen space includes:
- Large professional AGA stove and 42" Kitchen aid fridge.
- Mahogany wood countertop on the island.
- Quartzite countertops - durable stone with a marble look with an added lifetime sealer for less maintenance.
- Design Craft frameless cabinets with a custom paint color.
- Internal storage accessories for trays, cutlery, knives, Tupperware, and spices.
- Open shelves for bowls and glasses for a lighter feel and to encourage the children’s self-sufficiency.
- Walk-in pantry with shelves to maximize storage for bulk goods and small appliances.
- Moving the dining room door away from the cooking area for a better kitchen layout.
The family of 6 loves their new light-filled, inviting kitchen and can’t get over how different it feels from the dark, cramped space it once was. The kitchen now truly feels like the heart of the home where they can all gather, cook, and eat together.
If you like how we restored this family's kitchen and are wondering how we could do the same for you, come talk to us! Edesia is a Best Of Houzz award winner for client satisfaction in 2017 and 2018, and you can view some of our projects and reviews here. Take advantage of our free consultation and estimate by contacting us online or calling 781.238.8800.