Good kitchen lighting is the primary feature of an ideal kitchen. Regardless of the perfection of other kitchen design elements, lighting carries the day in that it determines the look and feel of your kitchen space.
No one will savor the details of your kitchen, and neither will you love to grapple through objects in a partially dark kitchen.
Layers of Light
These light layers are classified as 'doing,' 'feeling,' 'knowing,' and changing lights. We have briefly described each of these layers and their role in your kitchen's functionality in this article.
Layer 1: Lights for Doing/Task Lights
The lighting scheme for your kitchen should focus on creating a well-lit and functional workspace.
Have your lights installed where you need them most, e.g., above sinks, cooktops, and countertops. This will allow you to perform manual tasks in a safe and bright environment.
You need proper lighting to see what you are doing more so when using high-temperature burners and sharp knives. You want to protect your fingers, and this layer of light does the trick.
It entails pendant lights above the countertop, strong lights over the cooktop, and LED lights underneath the cabinets boosting your kitchen's functionality.
Layer 2: Lights for Knowing/Ambient Lighting
Kitchen designers popularly refer to it as ambient lighting. It is a light to tell you where you are and guides your movement around the kitchen.
Recessed "can" lights are an excellent alternative here; they light up the kitchen floor space and bounce light off cabinet walls to create a bright illuminated kitchen.
You can incorporate toe-kick lighting to define your cabinetry's base-line and create a floating illusion for your cabinets. It also serves as a good night light and keeps you from stubbing your toes at night.
Layer 3: Lights for Feeling/Accent Lights
They are also known as showcase lights. They create an inviting and comforting feeling around your kitchen. It entails casting a glow on your favorite equipment and spots in the kitchen.
Accent lights can be pendants, wall sconces, chandeliers, or illuminated cabinets and should be visible from any place of your kitchen, whether you are sitting or standing.
The primary role of the showcase lights is to draw attention and make your kitchen space feel complete. You can also use them to enhance the functionality of your kitchen.
Layer 4: Lights for Changing
These lights allow you to set and adjust your kitchen's desired mood, depending on the time of the day. This is so because the lighting needs for your kitchen change with the sun's location in the sky.
You will need bright lights for prepping and cooking your meals as darkness sets in and more dramatic lighting to entertain your guests. Adding dimmers to your kitchen lighting is a superior way to set the desired mood in your kitchen.
During the day, nothing can beat natural lighting in your kitchen. Besides the aesthetic effect, natural lighting in your kitchen has myriad benefits. Have a look at the following reasons why you cannot ignore natural lighting for your kitchen.
Benefits of Natural Lighting for Your Kitchen
- Enhance Your Kitchen's Aesthetics- Integrating natural lighting to your other light fixtures is the ultimate solution for an aesthetically pleasing kitchen.
- Save on Power bills- Everyone wants to save money, but unknown to many is that it can be as simple as having larger windows for your kitchen and space. A kitchen designer will guide on other options letting in more sunlight to your kitchen.
- Enhance your mood and productivity- If you spend a lot of your free time in the kitchen, opening it up to waves of fresh air and natural light will boost your productivity.
- Reduce mold and mildew growth- Mold and mildew are the culprits responsible for the foul smell and pathogens in most kitchens. These guys love dark places, but natural lighting is an excellent way to keep them at bay, giving you clean and healthy kitchen space.
- Get you vitamin D from your kitchen- When your kitchen has a sufficient supply of natural sunlight, why not bask from there and get the dose of your vitamin D? It is necessary for healthy skin, strong bones, and other health benefits.
The Key Takeaway
If you need a savvy to take you through all the nitty-gritty of the best lighting for your kitchen design, a kitchen designer is your go-to person. Let your kitchen shine bright like a king's!
Edesia Kitchen and Bath Studio, Inc is the best kitchen and bath designer in Boston, MA. With three decades of experience in kitchen designs, feel free to contact us today for more information on kitchen lighting and designs. We are always more than eager to assist.